Queer Summer Fashion, How to Dress for the Heat
Queer Summer Fashion | What is this apocalyptic hellscape called summer?
Whoa, friends, this heat is bananas. I mean, obviously it’s summer so it’s hot but WOOF. I hate the heat. I literally wrote an entire post last November about how much I love winter. So I’m sure you can imagine how rough this weather is right now. I’m pretty much trying to hop from one air conditioned place to the next to keep cool and spend as little time as necessary outside. It’s nice, though, having a breezy dress with a fun print to rock for when I do need to go out into that heat. This one, I found from Old Navy and absolutely adored it immediately!
Cute Summer Outfit Ideas
Wondering how to dress for the heat? Which summer outfits to keep and which to avoid? How to create your own?
Well, my number one tip is wear as little clothing as possible but, obviously, this isn’t even remotely an option. From social expectations to personal modesty preferences, weather, location, and more, I can’t reasonably tell you “just walk around naked!” dust my hands off, and call it a blog post. So how about some actual tips:
- Wear light fabrics – Linen is your best friend in the summer heat. It might look wrinkly and that’s totally fine. It’s breathable and light and will really genuinely keep you cool. This is a great time for all of those moisture-wicking tee shirts you have in your shirt drawer, too. I’m also a huge fan of jersey fabric. Get me a jersey knit maxi dress and I’m the happiest camper possible (given that it’s hot af).
- Lose fitting clothes – Anything described as breezy is going to be an A+ option for you. Tight fitting clothes are cute and fun but they will just hug the sweat right to your skin, then nobody has a good time.
- Keep accessories to a minimum – It’s already hot af, you don’t need a statement necklace bringing you down and stopping you from sweating. Chances are it’s going to turn your neck green where you were sweating anyway so spare yourself the stress. If you’re going to wear anything, wear earrings. Those don’t touch much skin and, thus, are perfect for sweat days.
- Now is not the time for makeup – You heard me. Wear less makeup or wear light makeup. You’re going to sweat, it’s going to get nasty, and no amount of barrier spray will save you.
- Beware strappy sandals – Unless you plan on wearing the same pair of strappy sandals all summer, remember that tan lines are a thing. And while they’re honestly not worth worrying over, if you’re not a fan of tan lines, stick with something with a little more coverage. [I KNOW I’m wearing strappy sandals in these photos but I’m still following my rules. These are the only really strappy sandals I own/wear and I almost never wear them in the heat of the day.]
- Cotton underneath it all – y’all, chub rub is real and if you’re not wearing some cotton shorts under that dress you’re going to be so upset about it. Baby powder and some deodorant are also great.
- Baby powder everywhere – While you’re at it… put some baby powder and/or deodorant everywhere. I totally put a swipe of deo in my clevage because oh man that sweat is otherworldly levels of bad.
Dressing in summer can be HARD. It’s hot, everything’s sweaty, you’re sticking to places you don’t want to think about… y’all, summer is GROSS. I’m there and I get it. We can get through this together with a little bit of careful planning and a lot of thinking chilly thoughts.
If you love my dress, it’s shoppable right below and ON SALE right now for only $15. That’s a dang steal and you should get on it while you still can.
In summery heat-filled solidarity-
Support Fashionably Femme